One of the fastest ways to transform your web site and promotional materials into a client magnet is to add your personality. (And yes, even if you’re trying to build a business bigger then you personally, you still want to add your personality. People want to do business with people, not faceless, nameless corporations.)
Now, there are a few ways to do this, including branding and graphics, but what I’m going to focus on in this article is how to do it through words. Remember, the stronger your personality shows in your writing, the more loyal your customers and clients will be, and the more money you’ll ultimately make.
So, here are 5 ways to add your personality to your writing:
1. Read more. The more you read, the more you’ll learn how to express yourself in writing. Not only will you learn by example (especially if you read things by writers with very strong personalities) but you’ll start to absorb ways to express yourself using words that you’ll be able to transfer to your own writing.
2. Write more. Sorry, there’s no getting around it. The more you do something, the better you’ll get at it, (and yes that includes writing). Start a blog, write articles for your web site, write letters to your friends, it doesn’t matter what it is but just start writing.
3. Keep a journal. I know this sounds like more writing (and technically it is) but it’s a different kind of writing. It’s more like exercising (okay, maybe that’s not a great analogy either). Basically, journaling works because it gives your muse a way to “come out and play.” And the more you can access your muse, the easier it will be to bring your personality out while you’re writing.
When I say journal, what I mean is get out a pen and paper and start writing. Yes, I want you writing by hand. No computers. Something magical happens when you write by hand versus type. And just write about anything that comes up. (Nothing comes up? Write “I have nothing to say” until you find you DO have something to say.) Do this regularly and you’ll be amazed at how much easier it gets to bring your personality into your writing.
4. Read out loud. This is a trick actors do. They read things out loud and listen to their breathing, their phrasing, etc. This is a great way to find your actual “voice” which you then can transfer to writing. You don’t have to read things you’ve written either. Read novels and nonfiction and articles and anything that strikes your fancy. And really listen to how you say it. Everyone reads things differently because you put your own personality into it, and that can translate into your writing.
5. Write in other people’s voice. This is a trick artists do. When they learn to paint, they paint in the style of other great artists. By studying how other people paint, you’ll pick up some of their techniques. You incorporate what works in your style and abandon what doesn’t. And by studying other people’s styles, you’ll start to be able to break down your own style, and thus you’ll understand how to strengthen it.
You can use this for your writing. Here’s how you do it: First, choose a writer whose style resonates with you. Next, copy a passage they wrote word for word. You might want to do it a few times. Then write something original, but do it in their style. Keep practicing until writing in their style becomes second nature. But, this should strictly be an exercise. Don’t try and copy other people’s writing styles and pass them off as your own. Not only will it come across as inauthentic and more likely turn off your target market, but depending on what you do, you could end up in legal trouble.
Even if you only incorporate a few of these tips, you should start to see a shift in your own writing. Before you know it, your personality will be shining through, and with it, you’ll start to see more clients, more sales and more profits.
Michele PW (Michele Pariza Wacek) owns Creative Concepts and Copywriting, a copywriting, marketing communications and creativity agency. To find out how she can take your business to the next level, visit her site at http://www.michelepw.com. Copyright 2007 Michele Pariza Wacek.
Latest posts by (see all)
- Get assignment expert here for all assignment solutions - December 2, 2017
- Secret Strategies That Generate Outstanding Business Leads! - December 2, 2017
- Your Next Should Be Destination-Nepal Trekking in October - August 19, 2017